While web surfing may be a mindless corporate practice, implementing a few simple safe-surfing tips can increase your company’s data security. Data breaches are costly and time-consuming setbacks that can debilitate an SMB (small-to-medium business). Smart internet usage is an essential step to ensuring data security.
To celebrate National Internet Day, Nuvodia Presents 5 Easy-to-Implement Tips for Safe Surfing:
- Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) – Data is vulnerable when it is in transit between two parties. A VPN eliminates this weak spot by sending your data through an encrypted network with an anonymous IP address. With a VPN, hackers cannot see where your data is coming from or where it is going. For more information on VPNs and their uses, click here.
- Train Employees – Well-educated employees are your business’s first line of defense. Provide regular training so employees understand how to avoid clicking on suspicious links, downloading unapproved software, or connecting personal information to a work account. 88% of data breaches are the result of human error. Educating your employees will increase your business’s data security.
- Use Complex Passwords – This may seem simple, but ensuring password strength is essential to promoting safe searching. A complex password does not use any personal information, is longer than eight characters, does not use predictable keyboard patterns (such as 123), and has not previously been used.
- Update Browsers and Plugins – Outdated software is full of vulnerabilities and is more susceptible to data breaches. As technology rapidly evolves, be sure to stay on top of all browser updates so that your business’s internet safety can evolve with it.
- Use a Web-Filtering Solution – a web-filtering solution blocks access to suspicious or unreputable sites. Use a web-filtering solution that is regularly updated which will help prevent employees from accidentally compromising data security. To better understand web-filtering solutions, click here.
For any questions regarding internet safety, VPNs, or employee training, Nuvodia is happy to offer consultation for your business. Click here for a quote.